Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sabotage (indie club 101)
















A few years ago, 2006 I believe, I was asked to do a poster for an indie club night in Sligo.
On the left is my initial design. This seemed logical to me, loads of album covers so that students can steal the poster and stick up in their grotty kitchen and discuss all night over tea. Because that's exactly what would have happened in my shared house in the early '90s. By the time I did this it had been a while since I was at an indie night so my selection might have been a bit off. I thought, well surely they're still playing crap like Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box and The Stone Roses' I am the Resurrection? Surely the DJs are now playing crap like The White Stripes, The Arctic Monkeys and The Killers? Plus it's an indie disco, there's always one dj that sticks on The Beach Boys, The Doors and old Bowie. I'm being mean. I snuck in a few of my personal favourites even though they were unlikey to ever be played. Oh and that amazing Cardigans album cover. Anyway I must have got it totally wrong because the design was turned down.
On the right is the poster that actually got used. Which is still a decent job. I just couldn't image it on our kitchen wall.
Discuss.